Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Studio Visit: Anne Russinof


On Tuesday I was lucky to be invited to the Brooklyn studio of painter Anne Russinof.
I had a great time talking painting, art history, and literature with Anne and her friend, painter, Tony Saunders.  Below are images of Russinof's work, a few studio views, and a statement from the artist's website.








"In my abstract imagery of the past few years I have layered repeating circles to create a kind of grid or lattice. Recently these circular shapes have loosened up to be more gestural, showing a more obvious open grid work. I have always been interested in combining an expressionist tendency with a relatively minimalist appreciation of structure. Originally from Chicago, I was attracted to New York in part because of the legacy of abstract expressionism. My recent paintings join my interest in line and structure with a more lush, wet-on-wet painting technique."
-Anne Russinof

Anne Russinof in her studio in Brooklyn, 2011











4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. Great to see the work and the studio views, which I always love getting a peek at. Looks great Anne and Paul.

: )

Shawn

Cheung said...

What a great way to see your other works and your studio. I can see the circles are moving within the canvas.

Dwayne Butcher said...

holy shit....circles and stripes!

Jane said...

enjoyed seeing all the different color expression modifying the structures! sensitive clear work.