Saturday, October 15, 2011

Jean-Paul Riopelle: Le Visage

Photograph by Maurice Perron ca. 1947

Photograph by Denise Colomb ca. 1953

"When I hesitate, I do not paint. When I paint, I do not hesitate."

Photograph by John Craven ca. 1952

Photograph by John Craven ca. 1952

"I go to the barber on Sunday and to the Louvre on Monday"
-days when both were closed

Photograph by Loomis Dean ca. 1959

Photograph by Yousuf Karsh ca. 1965

"When a painter does a good painting, he does it in the throes of terror."



"To progress is to destroy what we believed acquired."

Photograph by Laszlo

Photograph by Bruno Massenet ca. 1993

"In its organization, nature is my reference."

Photograph by Maurice Perron ca. 1993

"If I could live without a passport, that could be ideal. What I love is to move about freely."


*All images (c) by the respective photographers or their estates.







3 comments:

davidtmiller said...

Wonderful sequence!

Liz Mares said...

"If I could live without a passport, that could be ideal. What I love is to move about freely."

Such brilliant words. I think so many more of us should have such a code of ethics.

Paul Behnke said...

I've known about Riopelle for awhile but am just now getting into him from reading the new Joan Mitchell bio. Just ordered a book of interviews w/him and am looking forward to reading it!